Sunday 3 April 2011

The Big "Operation" Day......24th March 2011

....Maisie was starved from 2am, she was woken by the nurses at around 1am to have a bottle of milk. They had informed us when we arrived at the Hospital at 8am that Maisie was first on the list, but that we had to wait for "them" to phone the ward to say they were ready for her! We sat and played with her until the nurse came over at 8.40am and told us that they were ready for Maisie, we asked if we would both be allowed in while Maisie was anaesthetised, the nurse said we should both go up, but ultimately it would be up to the anesthetist if we could both be there.....I carried Maisie around the hospital to the anaesthetic's room, to which he said we were both allowed to be with her until she fell asleep!....

.....Once we were in the room, we were asked to confirm Maisie's date of birth. I then sat on a hard chair positioned next to a stretcher type bed, Alan sat on his heels in front of where my knee's were, stroking Maisie's legs. The anaesthetist then brought over a very small mask, which covered Maisie's mouth and nose. Maisie did not like the mask over her face, tried to pull it off and tried to move her head away from it. I held her hands down and cupped as much of her head between my arm and chest, while the anethiatist held the other side of her head to prevent her from moving. Her cries we really intense, and the gas stank, I started crying with her....and for what felt like an eternity, but most probably less than a minute, Maisie was floppy, we then gently placed her onto the bed, mask still over her face and we left the room, Alan gave me a much appreciated cuddle, then we left and went back towards the ward with the nurse.....

....While Maisie's operation was going to last approximately 2 hours, and they were still unsure as to what procedure they were going to do on her, obviously they had to do the Open Reduction, but the surgeons pre-warned us that she may need to have an Osteotomy done at the same time, but that it all depended on how the Reduction went. With 2 hours to kill, and not knowing Whitechapel at all, we went for a little wander to find a cash point....found a bank...now only me and Alan could do this....we both looked at the title of the bank, which was IBB thought nothing of it, I continued to put my card in, for the cash point to spit it back at me, as we looked around the building, we saw the bank was one of those banks that only accepts its own cards and was called the Islamic Bank of Britain!! So we carried on walking, and eventually found a cash point that would take my card. We went for something to eat, not that we really wanted to eat anything but we knew we had to, pottered about for a bit then went back to the hospital to wait for them to let us know we could go and get our baby...

....Recovery phoned the ward at around 11.30am to say Maisie was awake and in recovery! So we went up with the nurse and as we walked into the recovery room Maisie was laid their in the hospital cot, as we got near the cot Maisie took a great lunge, grabbed the bars and flung herself round, I panicked as I hadn't been told or shown how to hold her yet or how to deal with her, the recovery room staff gently pulled her round and laid her back down, to which Maisie kicked off at. They asked me if I wanted to hold her, which of course I did. I sat on the chair provided and they placed Maisie on my knee. I have to say I did not like the look of it, or the feel of it and was quite freaked out by it, they then gave her to Alan to hold, then we made our way back to the ward with her....where she spent the rest of the day asleep mostly....

Steph xxxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment