Sunday 3 April 2011

What a fright.....25th March 2011

......Me and Alan were asleep back at Stevenson House and it was 3.30am, Alan didn't feel too good and had the runs, all of a sudden my mobile started ringing. It was a withheld number, I answered it with caution whilst thoughts of...." who could it be? only the hospital would be ringing at this time! its Maisie! theres something wrong! whats wrong? oh i hope its nothing serious!"..... spun around my head in a split second! As I answered the phone, it was the hospital, Maisie's temperature had shot up to 39.7oc and she wasn't well, instantly i replied with " I'll be there in 20 Min's, just let me get dressed" I leaped out of that bed, I have never in my whole life got out of a bed so fast, and started to get dressed, Alan turned around and asked what was the matter, so i explained what the nurse had told me, he jumped out of bed too and got ready while feeling so ill! Although he knew he couldn't come in with me in case he had an D&V (although he had not been sick so far) he didn't want me to walk through the streets of Whitechapel at almost 4am! Alan walked with me to the hospital so I wasn't alone, and he waited outside until I came out with some more news! As I briskly walked onto the ward, all was silent, Maisie wasn't properly asleep, but she had calmed down and was relaxed....once I was there the Doctor came over, and explained that they wanted to take some Blood Cultures which take 48 hours to come back which will show if there's any infection, plus they wanted to take a chest x-ray to see if there was any infection because she is only just post-op! Getting bloods wasn't easy, they tried getting blood from the top of her hand (palm down) there was no vein to be seen, so the doctor went in where the vein should be, but found nothing, she then went in the top of Maisie's foot, again went in blind, nothing there either, so she went in Maisie's wrist on the tiniest vein, and managed to get the cannula in and get some blood from her, as she already had a cannula in her other hand which was giving her saline, they decided to give her i.v antibiotics too. Then a lady came around at about 5am with an x-ray machine and took an x-ray of Maisie's chest....

.....I saw the doctor again around 8am, and she told me Maisie had a very mild chest infection, which was most probably caused by the gas that they use to put her to sleep and the device they put in her throat while she was in surgery. The doctor did also say that she will be getting the consultant to double check that it is mild and that there is nothing more serious there!.....

.....By 9am, Maisie was still very unsettled and seemed to be in a lot of pain, and she hadn't long had some paracetamol and nurofen, so the nurses said that they were going to give her some Ora-morph (oral morphine), after they had given her the Ora-morph they brought her a slice of toast, but she wouldn't eat or drink anything By the time it was 10.20am Maisie was so drowsy, but within 15 minutes she was asleep, so I left the ward. Alan met me outside the hospital and we went to get some cash and something to eat, and we got Alan some Imodium.....

......When I got back to the ward, Maisie was fast asleep, which I expected her to be, especially after the Ora-morph. One of the nurses told me that Maisie needed to have a CT scan done over her cast just to check that the hip was still in a good position! Maisie was called at around 1-2pm for the CT scan, I stood in the room with her to make sure she didn't try and attempt to roll off the bed.....CT didn't take long at all, I doubt it was even a minute, we then took her back to the ward, and she fell back to sleep....

.....I had spoken to the nurse about Alan not feeling well, and she asked me what was wrong with him, so I told her that he had the runs, but had not beed sick, and that his last runny poo was the night before. The nurse told me that as long as he hasn't been sick with it, then its not D&V and he can come onto the ward to see Maisie, as Alan was going crazy not being able to see her, knowing what a bad time she was having, he was so relieved when I told him he was allowed in, not that there was much light to Maisie, she was still really drowsy off the Ora-morph. Maisie did not eat or drink anything all day, and was asleep really early. Me and Alan had left the hospital at around 6.30 because she was sound asleep.....

Steph xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment